Just to follow up: When importing foreign language files, "file" isn't working. Non-ascii characters show up as question marks and textDecode does nothing.

Using "binfile" and then textDecoding does import correctly but then text chunking by lines fails. Line endings are imported as 2 bytes using byteToNum 13,10 (in that order) which isn't the line ending standard for any OS. I have to replace those specifically.

These are text files saved as UTF-8, created on Mac OS X and imported on Mac OS X. I'm using LC 7.0.6.