On 2015-08-19 21:09, J. Landman Gay wrote:
Just to follow up: When importing foreign language files, "file" isn't
working. Non-ascii characters show up as question marks and textDecode
does nothing.

Using "binfile" and then textDecoding does import correctly but then
text chunking by lines fails. Line endings are imported as 2 bytes
using byteToNum 13,10 (in that order) which isn't the line ending
standard for any OS. I have to replace those specifically.

These are text files saved as UTF-8, created on Mac OS X and imported
on Mac OS X. I'm using LC 7.0.6.

Hmm, this all sounds quite problematic.

Obvious thing to check: are you sure your files are valid UTF-8? The following command will print "0" if the file is valid UTF-8 and "1" otherwise:

    iconv -f UTF-8 your_file > /dev/null ; echo $?

Otherwise, if you have a test case that you don't mind sharing, could you please file a bug report and add me (e-mail address below) to the Cc list? Otherwise, please e-mail me directly. If you could test with LiveCode 7.0.1-rc-1, that would also be quite helpful.

I *definitely can't* guarantee a quick fix, but it's possible something obvious is going wrong or we can find a quick workaround.

                                     Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.br...@livecode.com>
LiveCode Engine Development Team