I wrote something like this about a dozen years ago: a script pre-processor
that worked with the script editor to store the pre-processed script as a
custom property for use later.

I remember implementing default values for parameters like so:

on someHandler paramOne=27, paramTwo=13

Which would translate to:

on someHandler paramOne, paramTwo
if paramOne is empty then put 27 into paramOne
if paramTwo is empty then put 13 into paramTwo

and a few other preprocessor commands as well.

gc