On 2016-03-02 16:44, Richard Gaskin wrote:
Mark Waddingham wrote:

On 2016-03-02 06:46, J. Landman Gay wrote:
I confess my first reaction was that LC needs an interface designer.

Ah - yes - those magical 'interface designers' who you just ask to
give you the perfect UI that *everyone* immediately understands and
knows how to use and works exactly how each individual wants it to
work ;)

There is no best; there is always better.

Indeed - perfection is a journey, not a destination.

Just to clarify my comment, what I was trying to point out (in an attempt at a humourous way) is that invoking a 'interface designer' does not magically mean you end up with a user interface which any one person agrees with, or actually works for all use-cases. This does not mean to say that having a full time experienced dev-tool oriented UX designer wouldn't help immeasurably with the evolution of LiveCode's interface, but it certainly wouldn't be a magic wand which makes things better overnight.

My observation over the years that regardless of the UX design experience of the person designing things developing a good UI comes down to dialog between the designer(s) and the user(s); and as with all things it generally comes down to compromise.

I do think this has been occurring quite healthily recently with regards LC8 and, indeed, some of the tweaks that have been made to the project browser (in particular its selection / highlighting logic) have been a direct result of discussion with individuals who have pointed out certain flaws and I do hope that will continue.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Waddingham ~ m...@livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/