On 2.03.2016 21:53, J. Landman Gay wrote:
On 3/2/2016 10:04 AM, Mark Waddingham wrote:
Just to clarify my comment, what I was trying to point out (in an
attempt at a humourous way) is that invoking a 'interface designer' does
not magically mean you end up with a user interface which any one person
agrees with, or actually works for all use-cases.

Oh yes, absolutely, and I've found the team to be remarkably responsive. I was very impressed with Ali, he really listened and was intent on making the IDE as perfect as possible. I wanted to hug him, I was that happy.

That said, there are certain established expectations for how computer interfaces work, how people read/scan written material, how layouts are most easily accessed, and so forth. Every time a tool breaks any of those expectations the user will be frustrated or annoyed, even if it is just momentary. That's what happened to me when I recently started to explore the new IDE.

I have very strong motivations to use LC, it's my whole business. But I was frustrated enough that I went back to vs 7 after each attempt with 8. I will learn it eventually, and I'm willing to do so, but I wonder about the new users we want to court. If they need to read documentation (currently lacking) and expend a lot of effort to learn how a tool works ("selections aren't as you'd expect, we do it this way,") they won't bother. We'll lose them.

I could make a list if that would help. There are too many small things to write reports about each one, but I do think that attention to these little details would improve the user experience. The team may think my criticisms are trivial, but they did cause me trouble. And I very much want new users to intuit the IDE immediately and get drawn in. Surely making them fight their instincts can't be productive.

I am actually quite curious as to why the Livecode team decided to change the Properties palette
so radically.

R.