On 04/01/2016 12:35 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
Jim, you're my new hero.  Everyone has all sorts of opinions about the
web site, but you took the time to document your journey through the
taxonomy, noting each specific step.  Well done.

It may seem like basic stuff and it is.  But of course the site at
passed review when it was posted, so it seems link rot set in along the
way with other changes.  Your detailed steps will be very helpful in
getting that resolved.

I've forwarded your notes to the web designer, who will no doubt review
them with great interest as they continue their site refinements in
anticipation of the v8 launch.

If just want to get started with a download, use the Download links to
take you here:
http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/

I wanted to take a look at the app building tutorial. I had looked at it a couple of months ago when I first discovered Livecode and was wondering if it had been updated for version 8.

Thanks again for your notes.

Thanks for your kind words. I don't have a lot of technical expertise so I usually receive much more from forums like this than I can return.

Regards,  Jim

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems

Jim Byrnes wrote:
As a new user I sometimes find Livecode.com difficult to use.  Generally
speaking I find some parts of it not very intuitive. Specifically I had
this problem:

[1] I go to Livecode.com and click on the Get Started button.

[2] That takes me here: https://livecode.com/download/. Since I have
already downloaded Livecode, I fill out my firstname and email and click
the Get Started button.

[3] I am informed (correctly) that this email is already associated with
a Livecode account, log in (here) instead. So I click (here) and go
here: https://livecode.com/download/ and log in.

[4] Then I am taken to here:
http://livecode.com/account/products/livecode. At this point I am
wondering why I was not taken back to the getting started page to move
on in the app building tutorial.

[5] Not sure what I should do at this point. I go back to livecode.com.
I fill out the form again and click the get started button and receive
the same message about logging in, but I just logged in and the site
seems to know I am logged in because my name is displayed in the upper
right hand corner.

Maybe the page is only for people that do not have an account, but
sending a person that has an account on an endless loop leads to a
frustrating experience.

Of course maybe I am misunderstanding something about the site, if so I
would appreciate someone showing me where I went wrong.

Regards,  Jim