hh wrote:

>> RG wrote:
>> - What are the use-cases where a native app is a better choice than
>>   a web app?
>> - What are the perceived benefits of web apps and native apps?
>> The first question is about actual capabilities, and the second
>> is about the psychological drivers of clients and customers,
>> which may or may not reflect those capabilities.
>
> Yes. More specific and very clear now.
>
> The answer to the first question is of course: Native is always better
> performant.

Good point. Not having to download the UI and code each time you use an app helps. But isn't that mitigated somewhat with modern local storage options in browsers?

> But with a web app you have "all-in-one": For example, no nasty switch
> to an other app for a simple "wiki"-info, or for some lines of
> feed-back, or for looking into news. A web app means: You are already
> "surfing".  These are my experiences from discussions with non-IT
> users/clients/customers

This is part of why I raised the question, as I came across a use-case with a client recently that was very much the opposite:

He has a service which is simple enough that it could be well served in a web app. Seemed like a good idea to me - write it once, available to everyone everywhere, no app store headaches, no platform-specific considerations.

But we're making an app anyway, because of feedback from his customers which suggests that using bookmarks on mobile is too onerous. They expressed a very strong preference for having in icon on their home screen, and even the one step needed to put a bookmark on their home screen was perceived as too difficult. They'd much rather find, download, and install an app just to get an easy launch.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems