On 2017-08-10 19:38, Ralph DiMola via use-livecode wrote:
To make this even more flexible:

repeat for each line tLine in tLines with [counter] tIndex [start] [{1}|x]
[step] [{1}|y]

end repeat

Not quite on topic for the thread, but this interested in me in terms of - what are the use cases?

The common code pattern we see as justification for 'repeat for each line tLine and index tIndex in tLines' is that it allows you to use the efficiency of iteration over a primary container, whilst still retaining the index of the chunk being iterated over. i.e.

  put 0 into tIndex
  repeat for each line tLine in tContainer
    add 1 to tIndex
    if tLine is not line tIndex of tContainer then
      answer "Oh dear - something is *really* wrong"
    end if
  end repeat

So an extension to the syntax with 'index' means you get both pieces of information and a good amount of duality which justifies its existence.

In what kinds of situation do you find yourself wanting an offset index, relative to the index of the iterated chunk?

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Waddingham ~ m...@livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/