Alex Tweedly wrote:

> I think regex (or multiple string comparisons) is too limited a way to
> go.
>
> I would want to be able to do numeric comparisons, range comparisons,
> etc.
>
> e.g. x is a number, x<25, 24 < x < 33, etc.

The problem of querying hierarchically-ordered data has been around for a long time, and XQuery is a popular solution (at least when that data is XML).

Of course associative arrays are simpler than XML, so any XQuery-like solution crafted for LC could be even simpler to use.

But XQuery is quite powerful, probably a good model to consider for handling the variety of use-cases we'd want such a generalized query system to handle.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems