i do not agree with the general statement "if you want to program a serious scientific app, you better learn C". from my experience that is true only for some problems. for example, if you would like to analyze fMRI data with an algorithm of your own, well, you'll better learn C. and sometimes you need structures (struct in C, record in pascal) in order to model more complex data, then C or pascal is the better choice (for example if you want to do some complex modelling). but RR can be used successfully for scientific applications -- i am an experimental psychologist and use it nearly everyday: i prepare my data for later analysis (clean up files, merge data, rearrange files), create my experiments, manage some databases. it probably isn't the best tool to do 3d live rendering, but about that i am not sure. on the other hand, perhaps the stuff i do is not considered "serious" science ...
best, olli.