J. Landman Gay wrote:

Richard Gaskin wrote:

1. Using a function for a sortKey expression introduces a "sometimes" rule in terms of understanding the order of expression evaluation in the engine, in which most of the time functions are evaluated first but in this case the function is applied repeatedly for each line of the sort container as the sort command is run.

Well, not really. It's more like a substitution for what the engine does anyway. When the engine sorts a container, it has to assign a position for each element being sorted. A custom sort function does the same thing; the engine will use the number returned by the function when arranging the elements.

The order of evaluation hasn't changed, and functions are still evaluated first. But when sorting, each element has to be evaluated individually.

Right.  That's what initially threw me.

As far as I can recall, this optional form of the sort command is the only way to call a function iteratively without using a repeat loop.

Are there others I've forgotten?

It's very handy, but a cognitive hurdle for me at first. I'd never seen anything like it before.

Anyone else have a mental hiccup when they first encountered this?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal