Richard,

Interesting idea. Thanks.

Bill Vlahos

On Jun 17, 2008, at 5:59 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

Bill Vlahos wrote:
> Quitting the application after the download is easy but how do I
> have the computer automatically relaunch it?
>
> I would need this for Macintosh and Windows and Linux.

Uninstallers face a similar issue, since they need to delete an app but of course an app can't delete itself.

Their approach may work for your circumstance as well:

An uninstaller commonly copies itself to the local temp directory and then launches that copy to do the deed.

With Rev 2.9 you can now get the temp folder on all three platforms with:

 get specialFolderPath("temporary")

Temp directories are automatically cleared out by the system periodically (often on restart), so while it does mean another copy of an app somewhere it's not one that will live for long after it's needed.

--
Richard Gaskin
Managing Editor, revJournal