Dave Cragg wrote:

On 13 Nov 2008, at 19:38, Richard Gaskin wrote:

Fortunately, it doesn't. Rev sets the randomSeed to some non-fixed number (a truncated portion of the milliseconds?) each time it starts.

This implies that each session starts with a unique seed, so each sequence derived from it will be similarly unique.

This occurred to me last night while reviewing my comment on your seeding method. Does a different randomSeed guarantee a different random sequence in the same way that the same seed produces the same sequence?

"Guarantee" is a tough claim to verify, since it's possible that even a truly random sequence might by chance appear as a repeated pattern. :)

But to test this I made a simple test stack with a button and two fields, with this in the button script:

on mouseUp
  put empty into fld 1
  put empty into fld 2
  --
  -- Test 1: psuedo-random randomSeed:
  repeat 2
    set the randomseed to random(444444)
    repeat 10
      set the randomSeed to random(444444)
      put random(10) &cr after fld 1
    end repeat
    put cr&cr after fld 1
  end repeat
  --
  -- Test 2: fixed randomSeed:
  repeat 2

Results:

Field 1:
1 5 10 8 8 6 4 4 9 3
1 4 10 10 9 3 9 7 3 9

Field 2:
1 1 6 8 1 1 6 8 1 1
1 1 6 8 1 1 6 8 1 1

This seems to support the hypothesis that using a fixed randomSeed will result in the same sequence being generated even if you later set the randomSeed using random(), but changing the randomSeed to a non-fixed number changes the resulting sequence.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal