Mikey wrote:

Thanks for proving the point, Richard.  That reaction was exactly what
I was trying to illicit.  If someone acts defensive, the reaction is
negative, i.e. harsh begets distance.

I apologize for any feather-ruffling; not my intention. I think we just have a simple misunderstanding here.

I wrote:

Mikey wrote:

Tell them the stinking truth - the engine is open source with
commercial IDE/RAD toolkit built on top of it, and even that is open
source.

?

The Rev engine is close-source, as it's been since MetaCard 1.0.

5) Insulting C++ or M$ or Java is a Very Bad Idea

"M$"

:)

On the first item, I was merely expressing that I didn't understand your point about the engine being "open source". As far as I know that's not "the stinking truth" but rather the opposite, so I must admit I don't understand what you meant there.

On the second, I merely quoted your use of "M$", a common shorthand pejorative for "Microsoft". If we are to avoid dissing other tools/vendors, it would seem helpful to avoid such pejoratives (though I can appreciate how difficult they may be to resist in the case a company with so many anti-trust convictions against them).

For the record, when discussing alternatives for development tools with potential clients of course I'm somewhat less candid about my personal opinions than I feel comfortable being here in this lion's den of Rev converts.

But booked with long-term contracts, it's not often I have such conversations anyway, and my current clients share pretty much the same opinions.

When discussing tools in articles at my sites or in print, I generally support your view that it's more productive to accentuate the positive.

I think we're in agreement here.  Sorry if it appeared otherwise.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal