Sarah Reichelt wrote:

OK, found my mistake. I had assumed that "open printing" would queue
up any print jobs until "close printing". However it only works for
printing cards, not for for revPrintText or revPrintField. It would be
good if it did, but since I now realise that it doesn't, I'll work out
a different method.

Geez, I should have remembered this when you first asked. Both of the Rev commands manage the whole print queue themselves, and both contain "open printing" and "close printing" commands. I suppose two "open printing" commands wouldn't hurt, but Rev's "close printing" will trigger before yours does. If your script is only sending one page to it at a time, that's all that gets printed.

I know it's more work up front, but I recommend the separate printing stack approach, especially since you want to implement a print preview. I just finished writing one of those. Having a separate stack made it easier because I didn't have to worry about the initial stack size; the printing stack was already laid out to accomodate the right paper size. For a print preview, I ran my printing script normally, but added a parameter to my printing handler that indicated whether this was going to a preview or a printer. If printer, the script implemented "open printing", etc. If preview, it put a snapshot of the loaded page into a variable and sent it back to the calling handler.

I then created (yet another) substack for showing print previews. This is the stack that actually calls the printing command in the print stack. This one-card preview stack had "next" and "previous" buttons and a few other controls. The snapshot the printing handler returned was loaded into an empty image object in the preview stack. The image was then resized according to the size of the preview window. Sometimes it looked fuzzy at certain sizes, but it was adequate. If it doesn't matter for you app, I think I'd remove the resizing ability and lock the preview to the size of the paper. That way snapshots wouldn't distort, they would always be at 100%.