I can have up to 15 apps open at a time, although some are utilitarian in nature. I rarely have lots of documents open in one app though. I try to stay on task if I can.

I have a Macbook Pro with dual monitors (including the one on the Macbook Pro). I have 4 gigs of RAM (very important for lots of apps). I can usually tell when I am taxing it too much because the transitions between open apps begin to take significantly longer.

Bob Sneidar
IT Manager
Logos Management
Calvary Chapel CM