Lynn Fredricks wrote:
It also sadly supports what I see as a policy of the USPO to just
rubber-stamp anything that comes in and let the courts (with plantiffs and
defendants) sort out and pay for their bad judgement. Of course, maybe
someone some time ago came up with a great and truly efficient method of
managing patent reviews - and patented it ;-)

Reminds me of the Compton Multimedia Patent case, in which they claimed ownership rights to the ability of any CD-ROM to contain more than one type of media (text, audio, video, raster graphics, vector graphics, etc.).

The USPTO rubber-stamped that one and it took a bit of a battle to pull together the thousands of examples of prior art to nullify that patent. It was eventually reversed, but sadly our system does not compensate for the loss of time in fighting stupidly-awarded patents.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World