Lynn Fredricks wrote:
There have been many times Ive been asked about new products during the dot
com (and even now moreso in Web 2.5) eras wherein the developers are happy
to knowingly file even when its clear they were too late or aware of
significant prior art that would invalidate it if only anyone knew about it.
The attitude seems to be "why not, if it passes by, we can bully others out
of our market until we achieve market success".

It may be in the public interest to add a rule to the process: if it can be demonstrated at any time that a patent filer was aware of prior are before completing his patent process then the filer pays a penalty to the USPTO of $50,000. That would put an end to that monkey business, and would bring much-needed funds to the PTO so they could begin a new era in which they actually read the patents they approve. ;)

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World