I'd appreciate any comments regarding the issue of keeping Skype running in the background (on a MacMini) and periodically (could be several hundred times per day) using Applescript to generate a wav file, then directing Skype to call the vendor and play the file. Do you think this can all happen fairly quietly in the background while Rev is handling numerous cgi scripts as the server's main task?

Thanks.
Richard

BNig wrote:
Kay,
well I looked the say part up in the mac scripter forum
http://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?pid=68963
There is a wealth of information and code on that forum.
´say´ is part of the scripting additions.
And yes, Applescript is at times 'underdocumented', as is the Quicktime
player Pro, I do a lot of basic stuff in the Quicktime Player, but it is up
to the user to find out how.

Once Richard gets this going he can choose a voice he likes with the say
command and let that voice speak the text. Since 10.5 there is a high
quality voice 'Alex' which sounds pretty naturally, I think it is the
default voice for 10.5
regards
Bernd