Dave Cragg wrote:

On 8 May 2009, at 20:13, J. Landman Gay wrote:

Scott Rossi wrote:
Recently, J. Landman Gay wrote:
if literal names are not quoted, the engine takes twice as long to execute the
statement because of the additional lookup.
Jacque, is this really true?

I confess I made up the "twice as long" part, I don't really have any hard numbers on the increase.

I do. :-)

I've held the same belief as yourself. It looks like we're wrong. On my machine (an intel mac)), 100,000 accesses of a field (get field whatever) takes about 95ms for both quoted and unquoted field names. (The field contains about 140 characters) Actually, on average, using a quoted name takes about 2ms longer (for 100,000 accesses). Accessing the field by its number takes about 85 ms. And by its ID takes about 80ms.

Okay, so you made me test. :) I get approximately what you do, but it bounces around so much it's hard to say whether one is faster than the other. Sometimes the quoted reference is a little faster, sometimes a hair slower, which makes me think there is hardly any difference at all in the long run. Whaddya know. Maybe everything else I said is wrong too.