Malte wrote:

I´m still experimenting with collision detection. I would like to try the
following:

-Create a Polygon with n-sides around my sprites. Compute the area of each
 polygon.
-Store it in a custom property to make checking faster.
-Check: intersect(SpriteX,SpriteY)
-True: Compute the area of the union of polyX,polyY
-Smaller than both areas summed -> Objects collided.

If I had a neat algorithm for that job, I think it could be quite fast.

Malte,

I think I have a better understanding of what you are trying to achieve. I don't think it is particularly valuable to calculate areas. In collision detection you need to know whether there are overlapping interior points of the two areas. This is rather complex for arbitrarily shaped polygons. Could you settle for making each sprite a circle, perhaps of differing diameters? In this way you would only need to determine whether their centers were closer than the sum of the radii, a very simple task. The radii could be custom properties of the sprites.

Jim