No solution, but for diagnostic purposes:

Are you an admin user on both systems?
If not, can you switch to admin to install the plugin?
What happens if you access your home server's revlet from your work computer?

And off-topic, an IT department not supporting Firefox is analogous to
an IT department not supporting Macs - they don't want to encourage
anything that would lead to vastly less support being necessary.

Cheers,
Sarah

Hi again, Sarah

1) Am admin user on home PC, but not on work PC. Yes, I can try that. If I can find where I put that admin password (they had to give it to me once to solve some problem, hee hee). Will advise.

2) Trying to access the home server's revlet from the work computer also hung. Apparently I didn't get all of the "it's another window" issues because when I killed off the browser I saw an "ask" dialog that had been behind it inquiring whether or not I wanted to connect by IP number because the connection failed. However, it was not a fair test because I have PostgreSQL locked down for specific outside IP addresses only in the pg_hba.conf file, and my work IP isn't listed. I should try a simpler app I guess.

3) Har har! Yeah, company growth is an interesting thing. IT here has become more MS oriented I'm afraid. What they don't seem to acknowledge is, we built this city on Unix and open source. Oh well. And, it is amazing how many help desk tickets we see from Outlook users, virtually none from Thunderbird users, as an example, but they claim it is because we do not yet use Exchange as our MTA. I fear they want to force us into one mold, judging from a recent email below from the CIO: (a response to a Thunderbird user who sent in a help desk ticket because they got an unopenable "winmail.dat" attachment from an outlook user- of course I referred them to tnef, which can decode winmail.dat files). He said, (IE 6?? it's up to 8).

I realize that not everyone is using Outlook and IE6, but that is the
standard mail client and internet browser, respectively. We've allowed
others to be used, but I am not willing to invest resources to address what
appears to be a non-standard application issue. It's unclear as to why
Squirrel Mail is not functioning, but we do need to start migrating towards
the standard applications.