Thierry wrote:

Le 19 oct. 09 à 18:48, Richmond Mathewson a écrit :

Richard Gaskin wrote:
I'm putting together some notes for an article at revJournal.com on open source projects done with Rev.

If you're working on complete applications or even just components for the Rev community, let's use the pages at revJournal.com to help raise the visibility of your efforts.

Please reply off-list to me at: ambassa...@fourthworld.com

Kindly include a brief description of your project, URL to its home page, and please note which FOSS license the project uses.

Thanks -

Pardon my goofiness, but as far as In understand an Open Source project is not
possble using RunRev because RunRev is itself proprietary.

I ran up against this several years ago when I offered 2 programs of mine to Ubuntu, who, to put it nicely, got "all hoity-toity" because the source code
was not completely open.

Hi Richmond,

The Ubuntu software repository is divided into four components - main, restricted, universe and multiverse - on the basis of our ability to support that software, and whether or not it meets the goals laid out in our Free Software Philosophy.

Read more here :

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/components

My 2 cents

Thank you, Thierry; I have read all that stuff a while ago; and almost fell asleep
because it was so boring.

In my youth I was a fanatic, shouting for various 'pure' causes from various rooftops: had I come across it sooner the Free Software Philosophy might have been one of them. However, age and experience has shown me that dividing things up into hard-and-fast
black/white categories is, ultimately counter-productive.

As far as I recall, my reply to the Ubuntu people (to whom I had offered 2 reasonable programs about the phonemes of English) was something like "boil your heads".

I am, after all, a great fan of Open Source software, whose computers almost exclusively use Open Source applications; all feeding into work I do using Runtime Revolution, which
I love, and is far from Open Source.

Now if I come 'bearing gifts" the old adage; "Don't look a gift-horse in the mouth" should hold good. Feel free to, politely say "No Thanks", but not to get all high-and-mighty with some 'pure' Philosophy, because pure philosophies are like anything, when pressed against the wall (pushed to their reductio ad absurdam) the pips, inevitably, squeak.