Hi Michael,

I´m acquired the bundle 09, so quartam will be included. I´ll see what I can generate with it. However, as you probably read in another post, I´m particularly interested in the possibility of creating a data input-output option using pdf417 type barcodes. I have a friend who knows how to program pdf417s but he doesn´t know how to use runrev, and I just started looking into it myself as I´ll have that need for my company.

All the best,

Leonardo
On Dec 30, 2009, at 9:13 AM, Michael Kann wrote:

Might this help?

http://www.runrev.com/products/related-software/quartam-reports/

Quartam Reports

Improvements for Professional edition only:

   * Barcodes
Another new feature in Quartam Reports 1.1 is the ability to add barcodes to your reports and label sets - currently supporting the industry standards EAN 8, EAN 13,UPC-A, Codabar, Interlaced 2 of 5 and Code 3 of 9, as well as Postnet.

--- On Wed, 12/30/09, dlwild at gmail <dlw...@gmail.com> wrote:

From: dlwild at gmail <dlw...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: bar code support
To: "How to use Revolution" <use-revolution@lists.runrev.com>
Date: Wednesday, December 30, 2009, 7:58 AM
Hi Ruslan,

Check out the links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF417

http://grandzebu.net/index.php?page=/informatique/codbar-en/ pdf417.htm

In short, a pdf417 is a stacked linear bar code, and my
particular use would be for inventory management. For those
who don´t want to follow the link, here is an excerpt:

The PDF417 bar code (also called a symbol) consists of 3 to
90 rows, each of which is like a small linear bar code. Each
row has:

a quiet zone. This is a mandated minimum amount of white
space before the bar code begins.
a start pattern which identifies the format as PDF417.
Every type of bar code symbology has a unique start and stop
pattern.
a "row left" codeword containing information about the row
(such as row number and what error correction rate the row
is using)
1 - 30 data codewords : Codewords are a group of bars and
spaces representing one or more numbers, letters, or other
symbols.
All rows have the same number of codewords.
Every codeword contains four bars and four spaces (where
the 4 in the name comes from).
The total width of a codeword is 17 times the width of the
narrowest allowed vertical bar (the X dimension). This is
where the 17 in the name comes from.
Each codeword starts with a bar and ends with a space.
There are 929 codewords to choose from, 900 for data, and
29 for special functions.
Each codeword is printed using one of three distinct
clusters:
A cluster is a bar-space pattern for each of the 929
codewords
No bar-space pattern is repeated between clusters
The row number determines which cluster to use
The cluster is the same for all codewords in a row.
The purpose of clusters is to determine which row (mod 3)
the codeword is in, allowing the scan to be skewed from the
horizontal. For instance, the scan might start on row 6 at
the start of the row, and be on row 10 at the end.
A "row right" codeword with more information about the
row.
A stop pattern.
A quiet zone.
Along with the Data Matrix format, this symbolism can be
used to generate postage accepted by the United States
Postal Service. PDF417 is also selected by the airline
industry's Bar Coded Boarding Pass standard (BCBP) as the 2D
bar code symbolism for paper boarding passes. PDF417 is the
standard selected by the Department of Homeland Security as
the machine readable zone technology for RealID compliant
driver licenses and state issued identification cards.

The pdf 417 can encode up to 2700 bytes what explain its
name of "Portable Document File". The encoding is done in
two stages : first the datas are converted to "codeword"
(High level encoding) then those are converted to bars and
spaces patterns. (Low level encoding). Moreover an error
correction system with several levels is included, it allows
to reconstitute badly printed, erased, fuzzy or torn off
datas.

The pdf417 symbols can store much more data than the
regular bar codes, and it can contain redundant information
in case the surface scrubs, get dirty, or otherwise damaged.
It´s worth looking into if you want to produce a
machine-readable/printable symbol that has more than the
regular information found on bar codes and may be exposed to
wear and tear due to storage or transport conditions.

All the best and thanks for the help,

Leonardo