Le 18 févr. 10 à 12:56, Bernard Devlin a écrit :

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Andre.Bisseret
<andre.bisse...@inria.fr> wrote:
poor people who inherited a native language with accents ;-o)))

Maybe you're better off with accents.  Last night I was confused about
how to pronounce an English word, and I'm a native speaker.  The
spelling of the word gave me little help :-)

I feel real sympathy for those who learn English as a second language.
It must bemuse them that such a ramshackle language has become a
lingua franca.

Thanks for these kind words :-)

Nonetheless not too ramshackle when used by Hemingway or Steinbeck, or Shakespeare, or Carrol … and so on ;-))) (we had to read and comment on passages from their works when learning English at high school)

André