stephen barncard wrote:

> I just need a Windows test bed for REV, not the latest version of
> Windows. I
> really don't want to have to deal with all this extra security crap.
>
> Will Windows XP SP3 do what I need for now to test out Rev Features?
>
> Microsoft is really trying hard to get people to NOT use XP. They are
> buying
> a ton of adwords with keywords like "Download Windows XP" that swamps
> the
> search engines. These "sites" are just a bunch of domains that redirect
> the Windows 7 sales site.

It is true that MS is trying their best to get people over to Windows 7. This
is because XP is an 8 to 9 year old OS that simply cannot take advantage of
today's hardware advances or defend against some of today's exploits.

Vista can. But what most people don't know is that the "big" mistake MS made
with Vista is they allowed hardware manufacturers to "mess with the OS." Large
hardware manufacturers like Dell, HP, Lenovo (IBM) and hundreds of others put
in their own versions of, for example, UAC and other features of the OS to
support things like finger print hardware and other proprietary hardware and
drivers. This opened up a Pandora's box and is the real source of most of the
complaints against Vista.

The main thing that's different about Windows 7, besides all the advertised
features, is that hardware manufacturers can no longer alter the basic OS in
order to "lock" customers into their hardware (and "their" version of the OS).
This is why in upgrading a Vista machine to Windows 7, you can "lose" some
features of a machine or require a BIOS upgrade or whole new driver sets.

Apple, as the sole manufacturer of both the hardware and OS, has never had to
deal with this issue.

To answer your question, if there is no chance of your software being run on
Vista or Windows 7, then XP SP3 is all you need in your test bed. Just
understand that XP is a very "forgiving" OS and does not enforce many things
that in its own docs have always said "should" be a certain way (which is how
XP dealt with the issue of various hardware manufacturer demands) and which
Vista and Windows 7 do enforce.

The difference being that Windows 7 enforces things like security uniformly and
all manufacturers must conform to a generic standard, where Vista can be all
over the landscape depending on the brand of hardware.

Aloha from Hawaii,

Jim Bufalini