Richmond,

I totally agree and they can continue to be supported via the classic products like rev 2.6.1. its just that if you force the modern cutting edge stuff to be all backwards compatible with the stuff over a decade old, the cutting edge will be pretty dull and pretty expensive and probably pretty buggy.

In the ed market i have had to produce cdrom for kids (at least up unitll the last one in 2009) in osx and classic, there was a big enough market there using the old equipment that you had to have it supported. luckily the feature needs were still w/in the bounds of 2.6.1 so i could continue those projects in the old version with no problems and build classic apps in 261 and then the osx and windoz in a more recent version of rev. bit of a pain, but worked fine.

a lot also boils down to who will pay for the development of the stuff for the old machines in both the authoring/programming system and the content/apps. the old guys dont want to pay for all the bleeding edge development stuff and the new guys dont want to pay for the legacy machine development. if you split the markets into tow then you have the problem of two development streams (no longer really a universal product) and two smaller markets which means a higher price for each individually most likely.

not saying chuck all those old machines, but you cant have your cake and eat it too. either we dont have a lot of innovation and new features so we can continue to support all the legacy machines still running out there, or we have a lots of advancement and we have to cut off producing new stuff for the older market which then shrinks rapidly.

unfortunately i dont think there is a perfect solution here (unless you have a magic wand and some bunged up latin to go with it)...

cheers

jeff