On 06/04/2010 14:57, Peter Brigham MD wrote:
Try this? Untested but should work. (The untested part is the first handler -- the offsets() function I have been using for years.)

on mouseup
   set the useUnicode to true
   put numtochar(57888) into targetChar
   put the unicodetext of fld "FIRST" into uText
   put offsets(targetChar,uText) into offsetList
   if offsetList = 0 then exit mouseup
   repeat for each item i in offsetList
      put char i+1 of uText & targetChar into \
                 char i to i+1 of uText
   end repeat
   set the unicodetext of fld "FIRST" to uText
end mouseup

function offsets str,cntr
   -- returns a comma-delimited list
   -- of all the offsets of str in cntr
   if str is not in cntr then return 0
   put "" into offsetList
   put 0 into startPoint
   repeat
      put offset(str,cntr,startPoint) into thisOffset
      if thisOffset = 0 then exit repeat
      add thisOffset to startPoint
      put startPoint & comma after offsetList
   end repeat
   delete last char of offsetList
   return offsetList
end offsets

Unfortunately does not work, but

in my fld "FIRST", which initially contains 4 unicode chars, outputs 2 unicode chars.

Probably something to do with the fact that those are 4 double-byte chars.

This is where "Keeps Death his court and there the antic sits"; the antic being the problem
with double-byte characters:

"Scoffing his state and grinning at his pomp,
Allowing him a breath, a little scene,
To monarchize, be fear'd and kill with looks,"

and mysen fair forjeskit . . .  :(  an blackafrontit tae!  whit a scunner.

I was monarchizin a bit, so pleased with my unicode "exchange" script, but
the antic (as usual) scoffed most effectively at my self-assumed pomp.