Mark Wieder wrote:

Try this in a button:

on mouseUp
  answer file "where is the library file?"
  if it is not empty then
    set the externals of this stack to it
    save this stack
    revert
  end if
end mouseUp

That's pretty much the same as the test I asked Graham to do before, except that I told him to use the inspector to set the externals to a hard-coded file path instead of using a script. But the results are the same either way, and as Thierry rightfully pointed out, this method isn't portable. If the external changes location, it all breaks.

The best way to install an external into the IDE is to use Rev's user data folder, where plugins, externals, and other resources are stored. On a Mac, that's in:
 ~/Documents/My Revolution <edition>/Externals

If the folder does not yet exist, just create it. You don't need to edit a text file when you use this folder, just drop the external in and restart Rev. The folder isn't touched when a new version of Rev is installed, so anything you store there is permanent across updates (which is its reason for existing.)