On 06/24/2010 03:31 PM, David C. wrote:
Because you are not going to succeed as a company by
introducing them at the expense of overall quality, anyway.
Maybe someone forgot to explain that to a little outfit called Microsoft...
They seem to have succeeded "pretty well" over the years, publishing
products with thousands upon thousands of known bugs, not to mention
the all too often sub-standard quality.

A company that would forfeit the introduction of new ideas and
innovation in a highly competitive arena, just so they can "perfect"
an already successful product, seems like a sure fire path to failure
to me.

These types of discussions can go on and on forever; but they are really caused by the fact that RunRev have given many users the impression that they are "not JUST a commercial company" (and to a certain extent that is true); this has led many people (myself included) to expect that because RunRev does takes its existing customers' opinions into consideration, it won't behave like a commercial company.

Now the hard, couldn't give a ##### for your feelings company,

and more customer-friendly ones (such as RunRev) run by businessmen with
consciences, are different beasts; notwithstanding that, they are both
businesses that, at the end of the day, have to worry about how to pay for
the bread and cheese, the next patch of R-and-D, and keep their shareholders
happy.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions; and normally those intentions
are of the altruistic kind.

The "new" Apple OS and its WIMP GUI is 'still' a horrible mess and is only reasonably intuitive because we have grown up with the thing. Apple made a lot of ballyhoo about Snow Leopard; but not to sort out the GUI; but to slim down their code so that the
system made systems look faster than they did when running the previous OS.

Frankly I'm glad I'm not working for RunRev (come to think of it, they're
probably extremely gald I'm not working for them . . . . kisses, Richmond);
because they must have all sorts of pressures impinging on them from all
directions.

I may be at least 10 years older than Kevin Miller; but I am sure he is more
likely to develop stress-related stomach ulcers than I am.

I fool around with my programs for funny Indian writing systems (and I find
that extremely mentally stimulating) and so far I have earned the princely
sum of 8 Euros because I am not dependent of the computer world for my
bread and cheese, and because in terms of programming I am answerable
to myself alone. Kevin Miller is right, slap-bang in the middle of a socking
great spider's web; a place I would not like to be; and perhaps, knowing
that we should be a little less hard on him and his company.

Seems to be less than a smart business strategy, IMO.

Best regards,
David C.