On Thu, 24 Jun 2010, Ben Rubinstein <benr...@cogapp.com> wrote:

On 22/06/2010 16:01, Wilhelm Sanke wrote:

> > Apparently he had taken a look at the Revolution bug database with its
> > enormous lags in fixing even fatal bugs,  e.g. Report #8275 "Groups:
> > Bugs and features ("last group" broken)?" of  Sept 16, 2009, which
> > astonishingly is still listed as "unconfirmed" although it contains a
> > recipe to crash Revolution with only 4 lines of script.

Wilhelm,

I share your frustration with bug reports remaining uncomfirmed for long
periods, although I also agree with others (and perhaps you) that an
absolutist approach of no-new-features-until-every-bug-is-fixed is not sensible.

However, taking a look at the report you mention, #8275, I can't find the
recipe for crashing Revolution with only 4 lines of script.  There are
references in that report, to another report "How to reliably crash Rev 3.5 and 4.0-dp3 with four script lines", but from various searches in Bugzilla I
am unable to find it.  Can you give me the report number?

Many thanks,

Ben

PS Thank you for taking the trouble to report issues in Bugzilla as I know it takes effort and it is a service to the community. But I would recommend, to get the maximum value in return for your trouble, creating separate reports for each issue so that each can be understood as simply as possible, rather
than creating one very long report that ties together several issues.

Ben,

Thank you for looking into this matter. You are certainly right when you recommend filing separate bug reports.

One thought that led me to put together a more comprehensive report is the assumption that at least some of the listed bugs are somehow related to each other. And, if someone finds out that "you can crash Rev with only four lines of script" this should definitely arouse the attention of the responsible members of the Rev team, irrespective whether the bug report is multi-faceted or concentrated on one single sub-point. The Rev team should be competent enough to deal with a number of related troubles at the same time, or deal with them step by step. I believe that they are basically capable to handle also complicated issues, they are not first-graders in computer science.

There were 5 to 6 more sub-points concerning groups I was going to add to that report, but I had waited for a first response - which never was sent.up to now.

The four-liner is contained in point 5 of my bug report - see below - and the post I mentioned there

"How to reliably crash Rev 3.5 and 4.0-dp3 with four script lines"

was sent to the use-revolution list on August 26, 2009 - and can be found in the archives.

5. Groups belong to the factors in an already reported scenario for safely
crashing Rev

I have described this in detail in my recent post to this list "How to reliably crash Rev 3.5 and 4.0-dp3 with four script lines". Here I just point out that "group" is among the elements causing to crash Rev and refer you to my original
post for more details.

The following script assumes that you have set the angle of img "test" to an angle other than 0, that img "test" is ungrouped, and that img "Test" belongs
in the category of "Pre-PNGs".

  "lock screen
  select img "Test"
  group
  set the angle of img "Test" to 0"

For the definition of "Pre-PNGs" see my above-mentioned post or the
introduction of my stack

<http://www.sanke.org/Software/MoreAboutMasksRev3.zip> in the text brought up
on the menu card from the topright introduction button.

Best regards,

Wilhelm Sanke