On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 01:13 PM, Steve Gehlbach wrote:

I've never tried it on linux. Check "echo $DISPLAY" and see if the display is set.

It can usually be solved by:

# export DISPLAY=":0.0"

The shell may not like this, so you can also use:

# DISPLAY=":0.0"; export DISPLAY

The full form is DISPLAY="<systemname>:0.0" but it will default to the local system if the system name is left out.

Nothing will work after the error about not being able to open the display.

(This is the way it is done on Linux, I assume OS X is running X-Windows but maybe not!).

Steve, thanks - I know about the DISPLAY variable and it's function on X11. OS X does not include X11, it uses it's own display and graphics system. X Windows is available as a separate download however 99% of OS X users probably don't even know it exists and have no need for it.

I'm kind of dismayed by the state of the Rev OS X command-line engine. It shouldn't require X Windows, or libdl. It should just work. If there needs to be a separate Darwin version of the engine, as well as a OS X version- then so be it.

./fu.rev
external startup
mc: Can't open display :0.0
mc: Can't load stack or script ./fu.rev

Apparently this way of starting a stack is only valid on Linux or other Unix systems running X11.

Alex Rice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com