I'm not ;-)

Untested, but this would do it I think, trimming the recursion at the first point where it doesn't match. This assumes that the word list has a leading return, and the output now has a leading cr instead of a trailing cr:

local sSolution -- the output results of good words
local sWordList -- the list of good words. must have leading cr

on mouseUp
  put empty into sSolution
  doPerms cr,"2345678"
  put sSolution into fld 1
end mouseUp

on doPerms pString,pPhone
if pString is not in sWordList then exit doPerms -- pruning here
if pPhone is empty then
put pString after sSolution
else
put char 1 of pPhone into tChar
delete char 1 of pPhone
repeat for each char c in item tChar of "1,abc,def,ghi,jkl,mno,pqrs,tuv,wxyz,0"
doPerms (pString & c),pPhone
end repeat
end if
end doPerms