Brian, Thanks!

"ditto" works perfectly.

Resource fork is maintained. File is copied with creator type etc all intact and boots into the right application.

Two caveats which I would like to understand, just for my training on shell usage:

a) I could not get this to work:

get shell ("ditto -rsrcFork "&quote &(gRemotePath&gRemoteFile)&quote&&quote& fld "localfolder"&quote)

instead I had to do this:

put ("ditto -rsrcFork "&quote &(gRemotePath&gRemoteFile)&quote&&quote& fld "localfolder"&quote) into tCommand

get shell (tCommand)

why?

b) use of "get" why is it needed? is it because this is a function and not a command?

Thanks, this list is such a great resource...

Aloha from Kauai
Sivakatirswami