On Jan 3, 2004, at 1:54 PM, erik hansen wrote:

--- kee nethery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'd like to recommend a book

Baby Signs

we picked a handful of signs and used them with
the words when we communicated with our baby.

were these "signs" pictures, words or both? the implication is that all infants are frustrated non-communicators. no wonder they cry.

They are hand signs that are specific to what a baby can do with their hands. Much of ASL (American Sign Language?) involves using fingers and babies (or at least ours) wasn't able to do ASL style signs. These I guess are more akin to gestures. He learned roughly 6 of the 12 we decided to use on a regular basis and he made up around 6 of his own that we picked up on. We did not go through the frustrated non-communicator stage. It was soooo cool when after a shower and we had dried him off, when he asked for More Shower (since those were two signs he could do). So we stuck him back in the shower and he was amazingly happy.

Kee