At 12:14 am -0600 1/2/04, Chipp Walters wrote:

Would it be something like:

wait for 4 seconds with messages

I'm not sure if that will work. The old Metacard docs only show the "with messages" option being valid with the "wait until" or "wait while" variations of wait. I.e. it needs a condition. But the Rev docs shows it being OK with "wait for" as well.

wait for messages
(pauses handler until *any* message is received? and why would I ever use
this?)

I have a feeling there's some great power here, I just want to understand
how to use it!

This one puzzled me when I took over libUrl. It was full of snippets like this (and still is):

repeat until <condition>
  wait for messages
end repeat

It seemed the same as this:

wait until <condition> with messages.

But Scott (Raney) told me that the "wait for messages" in the repeat loop is much more efficient as the condition is tested only when a message is sent. In the single liner, the condition is tested continually ( a bit like "idle").

My own limited testing at the time didn't seem to show a great difference in how often the condition was tested. But the explanation seemed sensible, so I stuck with the "wait for messages" in the repeat loop.

Cheers
Dave