On Monday, February 9, 2004, at 06:33 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

Frank Leahy wrote:

And my bet still stands -- I'm willing to bet $20 that the code to
parse "x = 1" is already in place, but commented out in the RR engine
for historical reasons.

You may have just lost $20: "=" is already an operator in Transcript (used
as in Pascal, for comparison).

When cavemen first invented programming languages, the big moment of d'oh!
was after they'd proudly implemted "=" as an assignment operator only to
realize they'd forgotten comparison.

But to be fair, as pointed out, the = can be overloaded here.

In C every statement is an expression, so there is a problem, but in context in some similar language, = can mean two things.

Dar Scott