On Tuesday, February 10, 2004, at 10:20 AM, Frank Leahy wrote:

BUT...I wish xTalk had some ADDITIONAL constructs that made it more accessible to computer scientists and professional programmers. Both because without them xTalk look amateurish, and therefore less likely to be used by professionals, and because it would make it significantly easier to port code from other languages to xTalk.

In my mind I am not separating xTalk from Transcript from Revolution. What is more important to me is a clean, bug-free, complete implementation. It is a toy implementation that makes something look amateurish. RunRev has always had a commitment to fixing bugs and recently has been able to increase resources to that end. That is what removes the amateurish look.

The amateurish look can show up anywhere. I recently worked with Java and was surprised that writeln to a tcp link would push twice, once for the text and once for the crlf. That is amateurish and it has nothing to do with the syntax. This is not a bug as far as I know, but it is a tiny performance hit and a pain in debugging.

(I wonder. Would Scheme or Haskell or Modula or other languages look amateurish?)

Dar Scott