On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:25:25 +0100, Leraillez Benoit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The basic idea here is that, instead of having a hidden card, you
> have sets of custom properties for each card - one set for each
> language - to hold the correct text for that card.

  Ok but if I need to change texts because my translations are incorrect or
if I add a new language, in a table I just add a column containing the texts
and the whole stack is translated with a new language or I just import a tab
separated new version and the errors are all corrected without having to go
thru every card and finding the field properties by hand. Am I right?

Yes, I think you have a point there. I agree that if one is to have texts in other languages, chances are that there will be errors, and/or the whole set of texts will have to be created by a non-programmer. A real example I have is for an educational application written with English in mind having to be used in a Welsh-speaking environment. I'm not a Welsh-speaker, so I need to be able to give my list of original texts to an outside person as a text file, and get back a line-by-line translation in Welsh. I then need a rapid and tidy way of getting the Welsh text back into my application. IMHO I could only get all this data into Custom Property sets either by placing all the text strings by hand in many different objects and cards or by writing a kind of special interpreter that would take the text file and manipulate it appropriately according to the exact structure and use of all the custom props; either option seems a convoluted way to go about things - but YMMV. My own preferred option is to go for a simplified manual approach where every string that needs to be changed according to language is set in one particular handler ('setUpParameters'), and I simply read the Welsh (or whatever) text file into a text editor and paste each line directly into the Transcript code, all in one concentrated place in the app. This is crude but in fact works rather well.

Just my 2 eurocents

Graham