Tom wrote:

On Feb 23, 2004, at 11:41 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Scott Raney used to recommend that stacks not go above
> 3-5,000 cards or so before being moved to a more formal
> database. That isn't a hard number, just a suggestion.

That's predicated on the assumption that you're using a
>> stack as a flat table.  If you use arrays or tab-delimited
>> chunks in custom properties you can safely exceed that by
>> many times; I've been working with a data set here of
>> about 50,000 records in a simple list, and my WebMerge
>> product processes exported databases as tab-delimited text
>> quickly -- we have some customers processing 100,000
>> records without a hitch.

Of course, keep in mind it's all RAM-based so if your
>> records are large you may get tight on memory.  But
>> like the old Panaroma database product shows, RAM-based
>> databases can be viable in many circumstances.

I am working on an addition to Panorama at the moment and
> before now had never heard of it. When I saw your reference
> below I was floored.

Do you know anything else about Panorama?

Very little.

I need to emulate a demo where it appears to interact
> with Panorama. It does not actually have to but I need
> it to look like it is.
I was going to do this in Rev with screen shots of Panorama
> mixed with Rev fields to show how our addition would work
> if included.
Are Pano and Rev related at all???

Only in as much as their data is RAM-based rather than paged from disk. No other connection that I know of.

I don't really have time to learn Pano to do the demo from within it.
I saw the scripting in Pano and it looked different than Rev.
what are your thoughts??

Why interact between the two? If Panorama is no longer viable for the project it's being used on could it just be moved to Rev?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation