Chipp Walters wrote:

1) Jeanne's suggestion regarding changine the 'rev' prefix to something else would be my first fix attempt. If RR is walking through the backscripts and checking their owners, they could assume your backscript is theirs, and do whatever with it.

With one limitation: while that would apply to the downloaded stack ("RevNet"), it wouldn't apply to the one being myteriously purged ("GoRevNet").

That is, unless there's a bug in the IDE which checks for stack names which merely contain "rev" rather than start with "rev". But if that were the case it's probably better for them to have this bug caught by a patient person like me rather than a newcomer making something like "My Rev Experiments". ;)

2) Consider moving your backscript into a subStack of RevNet and start using it. Perhaps backscripts are purged, but I've never seen an open stack purged (and I've done a lot of rev prefixed plugins;-)

Already done this morning (actually simpler, I just copied the scripts into the RevNet stack script).

While this resolves the scripting issue it doesn't resolve the appearance issues, which are caused by images stored in GoRevNet not being available to RevNet.

These could also be duplicated in RevNet, but then we start to diminish the value of a distributed system (more on that next in #3).

3) This is a bit controversial idea...but consider not using backscripts, library stacks, or frontscripts in IDE plugins, unless you *have to*. Each of these 'play outside the sandbox' and can interfere with the IDE (you of course know this). All of my plugins which have frontScripts (potentially the most troublesome) also have a toggle to turn the frontScripts OFF. Course, when you close a plugin, the frontScripts are removed automatically.

Same with RevNet -- the process is (normally):

1. The user opens GoRevNet
2. GoRevNet inserts a backscript
3. The user clicks "Go RevNet"
4. The RevNet stack is downloaded and run
5. The user closes RevNet
6. On closeStack, RevNet removes the backscript it's been using

One of the goals and benefits of distributed stackware is to minimize download times. Ideally, as with AOL and similar systems, only those things that change would need to be downloaded. In RevNet's case, that would include the images and text in the stack, but common scripts and images are stored in the plugin to avoid having to download them each time.

Not only does the use of shared libraries minimize download times for distributed wares, it also simplifies code maintenance: keeping code well factored allows me to update one just script and everything that uses it benefits. Each app I make has a backscript for the things all of its components need, I maintain a libary that contains the common stuff all of my apps need, and I have a few others I use for special purposes across multiple apps. I save a lot of coding time using shared code, and RevNet users save some download time along with it; a win-win for everyone, well worth preserving.

Given that the engine supports what RevNet does and it's reported to be working great for all but four people over an 18-month deployment (two of whom can no longer reproduce the originally reported issue), I feel confident in suggesting it appears to be a relatively obscure IDE bug, but one worth finding as it may have similar implications for others. I'll start sleuthing and report back what I find....

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation