On Aug 6, 2004, at 3:58 AM, Terry Vogelaar wrote:

I added a test function to both stacks with the same name to see which of the two is called. To my surprise, the one in the login stack is called! At least that explains the "Can't find handler" error. That is the stack with the executed script in it, but that one is closed at the moment of the call; the other stack should be the frontmost at that time and thus it should receive messages. Or am I wrong about this?

well, assuming I understand your setup and how your are thinking about it, you are wrong about this. Ignoring shared groups (backgrounds), the message path from a button, say, for a mouseUp, goes like this:

front scripts
button clicked
groups the button is in, if any
card the button is on
stack the card is in
*
its main stack if it is a sub stack
libraries
back scripts

(* There is a bug. In the standalone, the libraries seem to be also here.)

Frontmost does not enter into this.

Is there a way to explicitly tell RunRev which stack should handle the call?

Look at 'send', 'call' and 'value()'.

Dar Scott