On Oct 10, 2004, at 10:28 PM, iMP wrote:

What's the smoothest way to play a series of QT-compatible movie files? I've tried a few ways, like putting a player on each card, one per file, but the transition is very noticeable, and the players don't behave as expected. I have about 20 12mb movs to play, each about 2 minutes of the entire movie, and I also need to skip around to various parts of the entire movie.

The best way I've tried so far gets a list of files from a folder, and uses one card and one player. When a playStopped is sent, the next filename is set for the player. I've tried various lockScreen tactics, but the abruptness and delay of the transition is still very noticeable.

Another way might be to make a QT "reference movie" to the series of files from scratch, and set a player to that, but I don't know if that's possible with Revolution...

You have a couple options depending on your needs. Your best results will come if you use one player object that plays back all of the movies. So the question becomes whether or not you know the order and names of movies that you need to play during authoring or if it will be decided while the user is using your program.

If you already know the order that the movies will be played back in then you could create a reference movie using QT Pro. This just consists of creating a new player and then opening all of your movies and copying and pasting them one after the other into the new player. The save the new player making sure to "Save as a reference movie". You would then load this "reference movie" into the Revolution player object. If you don't have QT Pro you could also use SMIL to create your playlist or use the EnhancedQT external <http://mangomultimedia.com/developer/revolution/> which allows you to do the same thing as QuickTime Pro but from within Revolution.

If you are creating the list of movies dynamically then I would probably use SMIL. This allows you to generate a text file that tells QT what order to play the movies in. You could create this in Rev and the load the text file into a player object. You can find information on it here <http://www.apple.com/quicktime/authoring/qtsmil.html>.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia