I seriously doubt that an eMail account could be set up through the keychain; only the password would be stored there. The external I am developing is quite simple, and is set up for only "application" type passwords, while I believe Apple's Mail program uses "internet" type passwords -- they are handled by different keychain functions.

Also, in order to work "nicely" with Mail, you will need to add Mail to the ACL for the keychain entry. From what I am seeing, none of this is very difficult; you should probably start with Apple's keychain introduction:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Security/Conceptual/ keychainServConcepts/index.html

If you have any familiarity with C programming (it doesn't take much), and if you have the Xcode tools installed, and the Rev externals SDK (which is a free DL from Rev's site), it should be a fairly simple matter to set this up -- as long as the security issue I listed below can be overcome.