On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Richard Gaskin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Welcome to XP.

I am uncertain whether I should be happy about this - not your "welcome", but about XP

Rev now supports native appearances for fields on XP when the field's
default values are left in place (borderWidth set to 2).  So what your
screen show at <http://www.sanke.org/RevTestPage/>  is showing is XP's
rendering of the field border.

You'll see a similar thing on OS X: while the appearance differs from
XP, when a field border is set to the default value of 2 OS routines are
used to render the control instead of the engine's.

I think this should be overridable.  Standard and Rectangle style
buttons also take on native appearances, but you can override this by
specifying a backgroundColor.

Perhaps we need a Bugzilla request so that if the borderColor is set the
OS no longer draws the control and it uses the engine's internal routines.

Please post the bug number after you log it so we can vote for that
enhancement.

In the meantime a workaround is to set the style of the field to
"shadow" instead of "rectangle" or "scrolling", and then to prevent the
shadow from drawing set its shadowwidth to 0 (zero).  Shadow-style
fields are always drawn by the engine, so you should get what you're
after with those.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation

Thanks, Richard, for the information and clarification of the consequences of being provided with the default option of "native appearances". This again raises the question how we could be quickly informed about such consequences. I tried a search of the Rev docs, probably in a amateurish manner, so nothing illuminating came up.

The workaround you proposed, style "shadow" and setting "shadowoffset" to zero, does not solve the problem.

What really works is setting the "Look and Feel" to "Windows emulated" or to "Windows 95" (sic!) with Metacard.
Consequently, if you got stacks that need to have fields with a borderwidth of 2 in non-native XP look, you should care for that in a preopenstack-stack handler.

So I am unsure whether to file a Bugzilla enhancement request. What should I propose? To completely eliminate the borderwidth-2 related "native" XP appearance or to connect it with a more unlikely borderwidth of - let's assume - 10 pixels?

What do you think?

Best regards and anything positive for you I can imagine for a Happy New Year!

Wilhelm Sanke

<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>