This is good for a single char but beware if you say something like
 put "yy" into char 12345
you see a tremendous  slow up:

0.000008 -- y 100KB at char 99999
0.000013 -- y 10MB at char 9999999
0.000412 -- yy 100KB at char 99999
0.04          -- yy 10MB at char 9999999

But this is good to know. I had some running sums which really dragged on moderate sized data sets. But when I say
put char i of tt into char 99444+i of x
things really speed up. On my tests one char inset took 13 microseconds and 15 chars using a repeat loop took 37 (on a 10MB string)

Michael