Stephen Barncard wrote:

Why bother with sync at all? That looks like a nightmare!

Because I need it.

Are all your workstations internet-connected?

No. Some of them are some of the time, but in general they're not. And it's not acceptable to be unable to make edits when they're not connected. I think any "delayed update" of a central database finishes up being equivalent to this problem - there is a small gain from being able to know that there is a single central "master" version, but it's a pretty small difference.

Why not create a MYSQL database and any number of clients made in Rev to talk to it. Most good ISPs offer it.

Yeah, all 3 of the ones I use offer MySQL (and CGI scripts if I needed that).

All data will be real-time - no copies needed. Very simple.

Simple, but not applicable. If enough of them were connected enough of the time, I'd probably do as you suggested, with a local cache inside the Rev app on each machine - but unfortunately that's not the situation I face.

Thanks anyway
-- Alex.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.7.1 - Release Date: 19/01/2005