On 27 Jan 2005, at 11:25, Mark Smith wrote:

How about something like:

repeat until the number of items in tRnum = 5
put random(10) into tRand
if tRand is not among the items of tRnum then put tRand & comma after tRnum
end repeat

Although I'm sure this is fine in practice, this kind of solution always makes me a little nervous. In theory, it could take for ever to find a unique set of numbers. While my testing shows it never takes longer than a millisecond, Murphy's law says that the first time you put it into an application, it will take three days. :)

For the nervous ninnies like myself, this function should be more consistent:

function any5from10
  put "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10" into tList
  sort items of tList by random(1000)
  return item 1 to 5 of tList