Frank Leahy wrote:

Hi,

My product pings the Web Photos Pro website to look for new versions. This works great when the computer the product's running on is connected to the internet, but it hangs for 60 seconds when there's no net connection.

My code looks like this:

set the socketTimeoutInterval to 5000
put URL (getPhotoAlbumUrl() & "downloads/version_info.php") into newVersion

Is there any way I can force a timeout after 5 seconds? Should I be using a non-blocking URL request? Should I be attempting to open a socket directly to do an initial "am I connected to the internet?" request, before making the URL request?

Frank,

it may depend on "how" the computer has no internet connection. Normally if there is no connection at all, it will fail immediately. I ran into a problem (with Revonline) that if the computer has a working connection to a router or other connecting machine, then it can fail.

See Bugzilla 2117 for some more info and a hint of a possible workaround from Mark.

I think you could also use a non-blocking URL request, if that was easier.

-- Alex.