Message: 11 Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 01:14:02 +0000 From: Alex Tweedly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: SpellCheck (re-inventing the wheel) To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution@lists.runrev.com> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Then I tried a slightly more complex way:
setup

> put url ("file:" & tFile) into gWords
   repeat for each word w in gWords
     put 1 into  gArray[w]
   end repeat

and then

   put tWords into field "inField"
   put 0 into t
   repeat for each word w in tWords
     add 1 to t
     replace "." with empty in w
     replace "," with empty in w
     replace "!" with empty in w
     if gArray[w] <> 1 then
       set the textstyle of word t of field "inField" to "bold"
     end if
 >   end repeat

This took 2 millisecs for 50 words, so would be reasonable for even
large-ish documents.

I tried to put this sample stack onto RevOnline - but I'm having some
problem connecting to the server, so you can find it instead at
   www.tweedly.net/RunRev/SpellCheck.rev
   www.tweedly.net/RunRev/allwords.dic
(remember the dic is 1.75M - don't download it unless you really want it !)

-- Alex.

Alex,

Coming from FORTRAN, I have never really appreciated the more flexible use of arrays in Runtime Revolution. Your solution to the spell check problem is a Runtime revelation.

However a naive question: Since you only use the gArray, would it be possible somehow to store the information in the gArray in a file (I don't mean store all the 1's), and use that directly in the repeat loop, rather than store the dictionary gWords in a file and then have to construct the gArray?

Jim